Search This Blog

5.26.2006


On the Road Again...
Vol. 1.1

A Personal Anthem

I know I'm so way behind on my updating, I've just been transitioning a bit. I'm now in paradise; palm trees rustle in my front yard. I'll make this short because it's already Midnight thirty over here--eastern time. And I know you guys get tired of my long posts. Or well you guy--sheri being the only one who reads, or posts. Two things: 1. a brief synopsis. 2. God is so good.

1. I've been here a week technically now since it's Friday by about 30 minutes. It's been a whirlwind, and a lovely one at that. I'm tired. But not spiritually drained. Just sleep deprived. I've been to the Keys and back again. That was fun. Took the seniors who just graduated. We went snorkeling and had a a blast. Met two seniors who are headed to MC and one I'm working on convincing to drop Samford and head to the real baptist college of choice...

I live with a great family. Three kids--now four--2 girls and a boy. They are sweet and very understanding of my hectic schedule. Tonight was my first dinner at the house and only my second or third meal altogether since I've been here. I want a new guitar and I found out Tacoma guitars are sold at the shop just down the road...

2. God is so good. My anthem for years now has been that God is good and God is beautiful. He IS so good. So real. He's not distant and far off. He's not angry or spiteful. He's not indifferent to my troubles and loves. My struggles are His strengths. My fleeting desires are interests to Him. My passions are His joy. My dreams are His promise. My life is His passion. His love never ceases through my falterings or my triumphs. This God who paints the sunsets and freckles the night sky, who rings Saturn and craters the moon, who shined a star 10,000 years ago just to reach us for one small flicker tonight. This is the God near to the broken-hearted and who dances with the rejoicing, who heals the wounded and frees the captives, who redeems sinners and brings prodigals home. He is intimately involved in every aspect of these miniscule lives we consume our every thought with. He longs to show us compassion; He yearns to be merciful. He is good. And He is real.

I've believed for a long time now that God is good, even when times are not. God is always good. He can't be otherwise. I've longed for some time now to again see His beauty. And recently I've realized that God is faithful even when we are not, and even when we don't believe that He will be. But He will be. And more and more I'm discovering with this adamant clarity that God is real beyond measure, beyond reason, beyond what our finite minds and fickle hearts can weather or dare to believe. God is good. God is beautiful. God is real.

"Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all we can ask or imagine, according to the power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the Church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever." Ephesians 3.20-21.

Amen.

5 comments:

the one who faithfully comments said...

Glad you made it to Florida okay, and it looks as if you are having a lot of fun! It's funny the slight differences in youth and college work. The mad dash for me starts in August when the students go back to school, but for youth summer always seems to be the busiest time! I'm enjoying the fact I only have three students in town. I get a break...a MUCH needed break! Have fun!

jeff said...

i want palm trees and the keys. enjoy pal. clinton was fun with sarah this weekend, you were missed.

jason said...

glad to hear you're enjoying it. the metro-Jackson area is still garbage. stay in touch.

Jaci Marie said...

hey hey..this is jaci..just stopping in to say hey..i got one of these blogs cause i was bored...and cause i want you to read about my life and comment on it..since you left me...tear tear

Taylor said...

brentttttt i didn't know you had a blog. well, you don't really do much in it. oh well!